Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Eggs...

      A longtime tradition in our family was to have an egg tree for Easter. Years ago my father would take us out and help us pick the best branch for the tree. We would bring it into the house, find an old coffee can, fill it with clay to hold the branch firm.  The eggs took some time to prepare - my mom would wash the eggs, then using a large needle she would poke a hole at each end of the egg. Then we each take a turn - first shaking the egg, then blowing through one end so the yok would come out the other end. Once the egg yok was removed we washed each egg and let them drain til they were dry. It was not always an easy task blowing the yok out.  And then what to do with all that scrabble egg yoks?? Then the fun began - my mom, brothers, sisters and I sat around the kitchen table and began decorating the eggs. I remember how proud we were of these eggs and how much fun it was to decorate the branch.  As years past and my siblings  and I have grown-up, we carried this tradition into our own homes.  We each have an Easter Egg tree - now decorated with our own eggs that our families made. Each year we would save the eggs from years before - showing a history of our special times in decorating our eggs.  Looking through my collection of Easter Eggs - I see dated eggs going back 31 years! Wow! And to think they haven't broken over time.

Eggs are given on Easter Sunday as a direct representation of  Jesus' resurrection and life beginning anew.  The symbolism also indicates as the bird emerges from its shell, so did Jesus from his tomb.

We didn't realize we were making Memories...
                                   we just knew we were having fun!

This is a picture of a basket filled with some of the Easter Eggs I made. They are blown out eggs wrapped in Embroidery thread. The process involved spreading tacky glue on egg shell and then carefully wrapping thread around the egg. Multi color thread results in the stripes once wrapped around the egg. This beautiful glass basket was a gift from my step-daughter. It remains in my dining room and is used for displaying some of my favorite things - such as my seasonal rag balls and for Easter - beautiful Easter Eggs.
                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment