Friday, February 28, 2014

Fruit...

I remember growing up enjoying the many different fruits that my grandparents grew.   Today we go to the store and pick our fruit from shelves...paying quite a bit to enjoy the sweetness of berries, grapes, apples and such. But... as I was growing up, when we wanted a fruit to eat we would go into the backyard to pick fresh grapes, figs, cherries, pears, raspberries, currants, apricots and gooseberries. These fond memories not only included the fun of picking and eating these fruits...they also include the great care my grandparents gave these fruit plants, bushes and trees to ensure they were healthy plants and produced wonderful harvest of fruits!   At the time of growing up with these fruit trees, I think I took it for granted that these wonderful fruits would always be part of my backyard.  But as years past my parents yard and then my own yard changed and the fruit trees disappeared.  But I still remember...  all the wonderful fruits right in my own backyard as I was growing up.  I am thankful for this childhood experience.   "When eating fruit, think of the person who planted the tree." Author unknown.   

No comments:

Post a Comment