Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Barn wood.....

A new adventure took my son Will and me searching for barn wood. A request had been made to craft   several boxes from repurposed wood. So where do you go to get barn wood?  Why to the countryside.  As my husband and I drove through the country we observed several farms with old broken down barns.   You wood think that you could just go up to a barn and pick a few pieces of old wood....with owner's permission.   Not so easy....come to find out farmers have a lot of attachment to their old barns.   As if they are part of their family....with many important memories. So after a few failures of talking directly with the land owners...and a gentle remember from a state policeman...I decided to take a different approach.   I advertised that I was looking for barn wood.   Who would of thought that barn wood would be so expensive....many wanted $5 a foot.   It almost seemed hopeless until a response came from a person named Jason.   He said he was going to be taking a barn down close by and he would be willing to help us get some wood.  So in the dead of winter Will and I drove  to met meet Jason.....sure enough there sat a very large barn...very old and half fallen down.  Will walked around with Jason and picked out the wood he would like.  Took a couple of months for the barn to come down.....piece by piece.   So one day....the call came and off we went with a circular saw to cut barn wood for some projects.  Here are some pictures of our adventure of  "barn wood".


No comments:

Post a Comment